Title: RE: [ActiveDir] AD integrated DNS, DHCP, Static addresses, and re cord ownership

See inline answers and ALSO SEE FOR SPECIFIC INFO ON THIS:> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DHCP_imp_InteroperabilityDNS.asp

Jorge

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of James Cate
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 16:25
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] AD integrated DNS, DHCP, Static addresses, and re cord ownership

I should provide a little more information.  All of my DHCP servers are in the DNSUpdateProxy group that you are referring to.  The zone is an AD intergrated zone and only allows secure updates.  The DHCP servers are also configure to update DNS instead of the client.  All workstations are Windows XP machines.

REACTION: Security is weakened when using the DNSUpdateProxy group. All records that are registered by DHCP servers member of the group have no owner and can be update by anyone. This insecure and thus NOT recommended!

The problem I am having with any DNS or DHCP server is that if the workstation is first configured with a static ip address or if it gets a DHCP ip address from a DHCP server that is not registered in AD or configured to update DNS the workstation is the creator of the DNS record.  Once that machine is changed to use a DHCP server that is in AD and configured to update the DNS record the update fails.  The Dhcp server cannot update the DNS record for that workstation.

REACTION: If the client gets a static address and registers it in DNS then it becomes the owner of the record. When the same client is reconfigured to be a DHCP client and the DHCP server wants to register/update the record of the client with a new IP address, then the DHCP server is not allowed to do that because it is not the owner of the record.

QUESTION: why does the client get a static address assigned in the first place when you could also use DHCP?
QUESTION: a DHCP server that is not registered in AD? Do you mean not authorized? If it is a W2K or W2K3 DHCP server that is not registered/authorized in AD then it should not be able to deliver IP addresses. This is only possible if the DHCP server is NT4

I assume this has something to with the ownership of the record but if you look at the record owner it always belongs to "system" not matter how it is registered.

I don't see the "No Owner" that you speak of.
REACTION: With no owner I mean no explicit owner like a computer account (like COMPUTERNAME$). If the client registers the record then the client will become the owner and if you check the ACL you'll that the computer has permissions to change it. Because of this the DHCP server will not be able to register/update the record.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx