Exactly the layout we had except we had to give a supervisor EA rights as
well so there was a total of 4 people with rights with 250k users and about
400 DCs. He was really good about not changing things though. I have a great
story where one time he actually did add something and within a few hours I
stumbled upon it and yelled out across the office (he was about 3 cubes
over, we were all within that space for one easy grenade shot) something
like "Vern, did you create such and such an object at such and such a point
in the AD?". Response back was something like.... "umm yeah, what did I do
wrong?"

Generally the smaller the company, I think the less need for Enterprise
Admins in a daily or even weekly capacity. You get down to really small
companies say 1000 people or less and how much core AD infrastructure
changes that require ent admins are there and so maybe there is more and
more reason to lock up the Ent Admin ID entirely. The larger companies tend
to constantly be folding up locations or adding new locations so the overall
AD Infrastructure is always in a state of flux. These changes can be
delegated off, but the question comes down to... Do you really want to?
Changes in this area can have dramatic impact on your replication. I liked
the fact that every site and subnet that needed to be created came through
our group so we could review it to make sure it made sense. There were often
times when someone wanted to define 50-60 subnets for a site when a couple
of subnets would actually do, simply because they didn't understand that the
masking of the clients didn't have to be followed in AD.