Title: Site Costing and (DFS) SYSVOL -- Just FYI
Thanks for posting this, quite an eye opener as I always assumed that site link costs were taken into account when relaying to an inter-site DC.

Thanks,
Francis

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jorge de Almeida Pinto
Sent: 1 mars 2005 09:27
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Site Costing and (DFS) SYSVOL -- Just FYI

Hi,

I knew with Windows 2000 DCs that all DCs within a clients site are returned in random order to service that client and if the local site DCs are not available a list of all DCs outside the clients side is returned in random order. The latter means that a client (when the local DCs are down) could be getting SYSVOL services from a DC that's far away in terms of site link costs.

Because Windows 2003 has an improved DFS service I always wondered if Windows 2003 worked the same as Windows 2000 or it worked better by providing another closest DC (outside of the clients site)

I don't know if you guys knew this (I didn't) but Windows 2003 works the same as Windows 2000. In Windows 2003 this behavior can be changed so that the closest DCs (for SYSVOL referrals) is returned to the client.

See below for more info (taken from http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url="">)

Domain controllers generate SYSVOL and NETLOGON referrals each time a client requests a referral. By default, the list of domain controllers listed in a SYSVOL or NETLOGON referral are sorted as follows:

    1. All domain controllers in the client's site are grouped in random order at the top of the list.
    2. Domain controllers outside of the client's site are listed in random order.

It is possible to configure DFS to sort the domain controllers outside of the client's site in order of lowest cost. You can enable this feature by adding the SiteCostedReferrals registry entry on each domain controller and then restarting the DFS service on each domain controller. The DFS service then obtains site cost information for all domain controllers and stores this information in its site cost cache.

If all you guys already knew this sorry for bothering you with this! ;-) Please don't smack me with a trout

Cheers
Jorge

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Jorge de Almeida Pinto
Infrastructure Consultant

<<...OLE_Obj...>>

LogicaCMG Nederland B.V. (BU SD/AT)
Division Industry, Distribution and Transport (ID&T)
Kennedyplein 248, 5611 ZT, Eindhoven
.       Postbus 7089
        5605 JB Eindhoven
(       Tel             : +31-(0)40-29.57.777
2       Fax     : +31-(0)40-29.57.709
(       Mobile  : +31-(0)6-26.26.62.80
*       E-mail  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"       <http://www.logicacmg.com/> - Solutions that matter -