-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sakari Kouti
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 1:31 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Creating a backlink and forwardlink

Hi Joseph,

I tested this for the purposes of our "Inside Active Directory" book.

You should define the linkID attribute for both of your attributeSchema
objects. The forward link must have an even positive non-zero number
(for example, the member attribute has 2) and the back link must have a
larger-by-1 odd value (for example, the memberOf attribute has 3).

A forward-link attribute must use one of the following syntaxes: DN, DN
with Unicode string, DN with binary, access point DN, and OR name. A
back-link attribute must be of syntax DN.

The two linkID numbers must not conflict with any other attributes. You
can find free numbers manually, if just for your own use, or
programmatically, if the installation must work in any forest. The
platform SDK has a sample C++ code for this.

You must first create the forward link, and then the back link.

The back link must be multivalued (and the forward link may be).

In addition, the platform SDK says that "By convention, back link
attributes are added to the mayContain value of the Top abstract class.
This enables the back link attribute to be read from objects of any
class because they are not actually stored with the object, but are
calculated based on the forward link values."

For production purposes, it might be a good idea to register your link
ID pair with Microsoft at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/certification/ADLinkID.asp

Yours, Sakari