I think that pretty much covers it.  Given the option, I'll likely go with
the SASL, as the MS docs don't recommend the proxy.  I'll dig into why, but
I suspect that it might have to do with issues of security.  However,
LDAP/SSL is the default, and one would have to change a couple of settings
to turn it off.

My challenge in the next couple of days is putting together the presentation
to our InfoSec group to show them that having a hardened member server in
the DMZ is not a sign of the Apocalypse.  There are a number of things that
we need to do with it (like, Ironmail confirming that, yes - rtkingslan does
exist in the AD and making Spam decisions based on user existence) and
putting the brakes on this is not a forward thinking decision.  IPSec, SSL,
firewalls - these were all devised with these types of situations in mind.

What I may end up doing, as joe rightly does conclude, a domain in the DMZ
might not be a bad idea either.  I could use 1-way synch to this domain, and
then further isolate the information to ADAM for the Portal and Ironmail.

So, I think that what I needed to get out of this conversation was
accomplished.

Thanks for JoeK, joe, and Al for the input.

-rtk