Good question. At this stage this is what I've been made aware of:
No RACF (phew)
LDAP Connector to mainframe - I haven't been told what version yet
User and Attribute sync to AD from the mainframe is the primary goal. The
business centres around mainframe existance. If you don't exist on the
mainframe - you don't exist. This means that user provisioning AND identity
currently happens there as a start. At this point there's a TON of NT4
domains (around 600) that will be switched off. Users used to be created
automagically via a process from mainframe to NT 4 domains, however users
were never killed off the NT domains when they died on the mainframe.

Going forward, this means that users will be synced from the mainframe via
LDAP - ergo the sync tool requirement to AD to a dump container.
Users from the NT domains will be merge migrated to a sepparate container,
and whatever is left behind will be investigated and killed. Migration tools
are in place to do this, that the easy bit. The unknown entity is talking to
a mainframe via LDAP with no knowledge at this point of what flavour of LDAP
it's talking.

The Imanami product looks really fine on "paper" - generic ldap
connectivity, attribute transformation, supports schema extensions, etc,
however I've never met anyone who's used it in anger. I'm trying to stay
away from a scripted solution, since object colision resolution, attribute
transformation, object matching, delta syncing, etc are pretty standard in
the tool world, without having to re-script the weel.