Hi,

(I haven sent it again as this mail only went to Neil and the
Activedir-owner)

The garbage collection process first cleans up all tombstones that
exceed the tombstone lifetime and after that it does an online defrag.
To change the garbage collection period you need to be the computergod
of the forest (enterprise admin). Changing the period will affect ALL
DCs in the forest!
As I know of you only have the possibility to specify an interval in
hours (default = 12 hours) and not specific times

For more info see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198793 (The Active
Directory Database Garbage Collection Process)

Changing the period to a lower value will spread the load of removing
tombstones from the DB but I don't think it will help that much.
Increasing the value will affect your DC in a way that when it runs it
remove more tombstones in the same run which will affect the performance
of your DC even more.

I think the only solution for this is to boost the performance of your
DC(s) by upgrading the hardware (more RAM/CPU power)
Then again, the CPU spike only occurs at the moment of the garbage
collection process... is that bad? The CPU spike is not continuously. If
you experienced a continous CPU spike then I think I would say pump up
your HW

Cheers,
Jorge