This is just an FYI for anyone that may experience the same problem I was having.

Problem: XP clients are not receiving updates from SUS, and when trying a manual Windows Update from the web, you get error 0x800A0046.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;883821                     I used Resolution Method 2 for error 0x800A0046

I am now going to try changing one of my GPOs as described in:

http://msmvps.com/obts/archive/2005/02/23/36843.aspx

This article points to the cause of the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892199

This problem may occur if certain Administrative Templates from the Windows XP Security Guide were applied to the computer before Windows XP SP2 was installed. The problem occurs because of a problem in some of the security templates that were published as part of the Windows XP Security Guide.

In Windows XP SP2, remote procedure call (RPC) runs using the NT Authority\NetworkService account. The default security descriptor for services in Windows XP SP2 gives Read access to the Authenticated Users group, which includes the NT Authority\NetworkService account.

I will post on the success or failure of the GPO setting