The debate on this topic seems to rage on.  Russ, the issue is one of risk.
How much control or access are you willing to give folks on your DCs?

This is the same discussion that joe and I have had on more than a couple of
occasions.  Me, I'm a bit more willing to delegate out authority to do just
what you're asking.  However, joe's viewpoint and opinion on this subject is
just as valid.

Joe's point is this:  IF you delegate permissions to someone other than your
most trusted and controlled elements (meaning that Central management team
of two or three), then it's only a matter of time before they are into
things that they aren't supposed to be.  It might not be a matter of
maliciousness, but then - it just might.  Anytime you are giving folks
access, you are giving them the opportunity to take control away from you.

Directly to your questions:

Start with the Delegation whitepaper.  Sanjay did a great job on this
whitepaper.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=631747a3-79e1-48fa-
9730-dae7c0a1d6d3&DisplayLang=en

Can what you are asking be done?  Yes.  Not all of it easily or even
recommended from my perspective, not to mention joe's.

Read Sanjay's white paper, and choose the appropriate section(s).  It's 95%
prescriptive guidance.

-rtk