Title: Storing dates in AD

I'm looking for some opinions on a schema extension.  I need to store a date type in AD.  I figure I have several options.

Store it as a long integer.  To determine the date the consumer will need to count the nano seconds from a certain date (the way that pwdLastSet works)

Store it as a date type (which I've never used, and looking at the current schema it appears that most people do not choose this option).

Store it as a unicode string and come up with a format like:  YYYYMMDD[ss][ss]

Does anyone have an opinion on how this should be done?

Thanks