protection.

>From a TCO perspective, an environment where all machines are configured in a
similar fashion must be the optimum. Why manage AV protected and non-AV
protected machines?

I agree wrt the op guidelines - these best practices can be used to minimise
the attack surface but can never reduce it to zero, however.

neil

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: 30 March 2005 06:44
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] AD/ Virus outbreak

1. Don't log into servers to do daily work, learn how to do things with remote
interfaces. 2. Do not run IE, OE, or pretty much any App interactively on
servers. 3. Do not log into workstations with IDs that have admin rights on
servers, use RUNAS or scripts that require you to specify the creds, etc. Even
avoid fixed drive letters to DCs with admin creds, use UNCs if you want to use
NET USE /USER. 4. Do not allow normal users to write to the file systems of a
DC. 5. Keep DCs fully patched and do not run unnecessary services.

Quite honestly, you really shouldn't need to run AV software on DCs, there
shouldn't be vectors for them to be infected. If they get infected, it usually
means an Admin was careless - actually in every case of an infected DC I have
investigated it has been an admin being careless.

Yes you can put all roles on one DC. In an empty root I would have done it
already anyway and would have made all DCs in the empty root GCs most likely
as well.