Title: Message
Unless the firewall is needed, you should disable it. At least then you have removed one factor from the issue.

neil

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stephen G. Maczko
Sent: 06 April 2005 22:24
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Assigning permissions for domain user -- post Server 2003 sp1 upgrade

I'm no longer able to assign permissions on a client to a domain user.

When i open a directory properties sheet, security tab and then press the Add btn, it takes a long time for the Users, computers & groups box to show. Then when i select a user, the thing hangs.

One other simptom, possibly related: it takes a looong time to pop up the runas box now from anywhere on the client.

I've not used the security wizzard, because you can't use it on a DC, so i activated the firewall and manually opened a set of ports.

The following is my partial list of portsa opened, those relevant to AD, etc.

53 DNS (TCP/UDP)

88 Kerberos (TCP/UDP)

123 NTP (UDP) (??)

464 Keberos password change (TCP/UDP)

I also have all the appropriate ports for file-sharing; working well for the shares where permissions are already set up.

The network is really very basic; i have one server/one client. It's actually a development environment; i need AD to mimick one of my clients.

I also have ASP.NET and SQL Server on the server; they are working well, including ASP.NET debugging.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve

This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you received this message in error please delete it and notify us. If this message was misdirected, CSFB does not waive any confidentiality or privilege. CSFB retains and monitors electronic communications sent through its network. Instructions transmitted over this system are not binding on CSFB until they are confirmed by us. Message transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.