The scenario I envision for using password complexity requirements is for network admins (Users!!) who I want to force more complex passwords on, but general users (students) do not need this setting.

Are you under the impression that strong password security is not necessary for non-priviledged accounts?

I won't bother to the address the other aspects of the policy, as they have been covered by others.

If you want to support multiple password policies in a domain, there are 3rd party apps that purport to do this:

http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/?File=StrongPWD.TXT

-ASB
 FAST, CHEAP, SECURE: Pick Any TWO
 http://www.ultratech-llc.com/KB/