I won't take credit for this answer, I saw this question answered
somewhere else today.

There is nothing special about the Default First Site, it is only
created because there needs to be at least one site to put the first
DC into. It does not have any relevance when a client is trying to
locate a DC and the clients subnet is not defined in any sites. If the
clients subnet is not in any sites then the client will query a DC
from ANY site.

That assumes of course that you have more than one subnet defined in
more than one site, and I won't get into whether it is recommended to
delete the site or not as I don't know what the official word is.

Phil

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx