Tahe the scenario of trying to sniff a 100 boxes which are all connected via
GigE in a single subnet. Assuming each box only uses 1% of its bandwidth,
even with spanning set up[1] your sniffer will see packets faster than it
can capture. Any sort of real utilization on those links and your sniffer
will be worthless.

You could sniff at 10Gbit, but I don't know of any server adapters for that
speed right now - and even if they did exist, I'm not sure what OS and
hardware could keep up with logging all of it.

--------
Roger Seielstad
E-mail Geek

[1] Meaning all ports also forward their traffic to a specific port for
sniffing purposes - its supported in most switches

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx