Thank you,
Your reassurance  is making this a little easier for me to proceed. asa far as the exchange issue would i be better off running the preps from the exchange 2003 cd ? I though i read the running from the e2k3 cd was better ?

jeff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Grillenmeier, Guido
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 4:29 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] forest /domain prep for win2k to win 2003 upgrade

2003's forestprep requires network connectivity. So you'd at least need to connect your "interims" DC to another separate network.

Though I am all for a well planned routine that allows an easy fall-back in case of any issues, your sister company's environment doesn't really sound like anything you couldn't handle with less effort.  I've never had a single 2000/2003 ADPrep fail, if the required prep steps performed correctly - e.g. including the necessary preps to correct the Exchange 2000 schema stuff - check Q314649.

For this size environment, I don't expect you'd have much more than 4 DCs (2 for the root and 2 for the unneccessary child) - I'd simply suggest to perform a backup of all of them and then (after adding the Exchange fix and letting it replicate) to perform the ADPREP /forestprep right on your current Schema Master, let this replicate and validate success. Then perform the /domainprep right on your two IFM role holders.

The likelyhood of anything going wrong is very very low and will certainly not kill your AD (you can even re-run the ADprep /forestprep as many times as you like - e.g. if certain permissions in the config container are not set correcly - it will never do anything "bad" for your forest).

In very unlikely case of something still going wrong, you're in the fortunate position to be able to restore all of your DCs back to the same point in time with rather limited efforts.  The chances that this would be required are very slim so that you can save yourself a lot of extra work and unintentional risk by going your proposed way.

/Guido