-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of McDougal, Philip H
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 10:24 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Importing AD into a test lab ...

Hello,

I have a question concerning getting my existing AD into a test lab.  I saw
some help in the archives but I'd like a fresh look on the topic.  I am
considering 2 options, that I know of:

1.  Use LDIFDE to export and import the Schema, OUs, Users and GPs into the
test lab.  I built a box with W2003 Standard and DCPROMO'd it up with
different machine name but same Domain name.  This avenue sounded pretty
good but I keep getting failure errors when I try to import the ldf files
saying that "An attemp was made to add an object to the directory with a
name that is already in use" or "Directory Object not found".

my other choice was

2.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263532  But
since this is a test lab, my library is not available and neither is my
backup server.  Plus, it's a DC and I don't want to introduce it to my
existing domain.  I guess I could DCPROMO it back out and then bring it into
the existing domain as a standalone and then do a directed recover to it,
but this seems like a huge amount of time and effort for something that
should be pretty easy.  Especillay for DR purposes.  How many of us will
recover AD to a system that has identical hardware?  but I digress ;-)

Any advice or ideas would bre greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Phil.

Philip H. McDougal
Application Support Engineer
Jenner & Block LLP
One IBM Plaza
Chicago, IL 60611-7603
Tel (312) 222-9350
Fax (312) 840-8879
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.jenner.com

CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email may contain privileged or confidential
information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any
unauthorized use or disclosure of this communication is prohibited. If you
believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete it from your system.