-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brett Shirley
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 12:15 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Imaging NT5+ DCs == Bad (was: best practice?)

I'm not a Garage Door Opener, I'm a Garage Door _Operator_, please don't
cheapen my job, I can close the door too.

I didn't proof read the Running DCs in a Virtual Server 2005 doc.  I
happen to know that it doesn't insist on turning off the host systems
disk cache, so _I_ won't be debugging a confluence of lost flushes or
USN rollbacks in that environment.

The KB was written earlier than the DCs on VirtServer2005 doc.  I
personally like the KB as it is, but obviously as you point out they're
incongrous.

Keep in mind there are plenty of ways to shoot yourself in the foot,
with VPCs ... all based off the idea of improper backup/restore/imaging
of AD data ... things that come off the top of my head:

 - diff disks could very easily be deadly,
 - and in the cases of VPCs, when a VPC is shutdown, even xcopy (on the
        host system) is then a deadly piece of "imaging" type software.
 - the same thing even applies outside of VPCs, just a DC in DSRM, has
an
        unprotected DIT and log files, copying those out, and then back
        in later, would qualify as something that can cause USN
rollback.

Cheers,
-BrettSh [msft]

Building 7 Garage Door Operator ... ostensibly the Garage Door Operator
with the most knowledge of the ESE and AD database internals ...