What did you use to change the SID? NewSID? If so it is probably ok for most uses.

I assume you rejoined the domain with the new name?

Imaging a member has worked quite well and often in my experience though you can run into places where it remembers the old name, for instance like installing IIS and possibly other things. When it generates the IIS accounts for running the various pieces it tends to recall the old machine name and usesthat in the names. I expect it is buried in the meta data somewhere but have never worried enough to go looking for it.

That being said, I have never done this in a cluster. I am sure the HP Engineer was umcomfortable with it simply because he/she didn't have experience with it and when building a cluster, I would expect the idea would be to do everything in well known ways considering the reasoning for building clusters in the first place.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Peter Jessop
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 12:47 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] best practice?

When I was installing two servers in a cluster (member servers) I simply installed the os in one on mirrored disks, took out one of the disks and put it in the second server. Regenerated the two mirros, changed the name and SID on the second one and then installed the cluster service on both. It hasn't given any problems but at the time the HP engineer didn't like it but gave me no concrete reason. Is this practise OK and are imaging techniques just issues with DCs?

Peter Jessop