I don't take it as directed at me Joe.  I do think it underscores the point I'm
trying (badly) to make.

My philosophy about software is something like this: I could build it myself or
I could buy it.  I could have a team of folks internal that could build or I
can buy it already made.  If I choose to have a team internal or myself build
the software, I/we would customize it to my needs.  If I choose to buy it, I
would expect that the vendor of that software would have to take into
consideration the customers they are targeting and the overall needs of that
customer grouping.  If that's the case, then me as one of the customers would
expect a certain level of dialog between client/vendor. Depending on the amount
of time and money invested between the two companies, that dialog could be more
or less (for example, I wouldn't expect HP to really spend a lot of time
talking to me about a mass-produced printer I put in my home, but I would
expect to hear from IBM if I was one of the few thousand out there that was
implementing a certain LDAP product for the legacy enterprise server :)

I guess in the end, I view the ISV's as a shared pool of outsourced software
developers for my company.  I get the benefit of cheaper product development
and shared intellect in terms of what a product can do (think features I may
not have thought of, but that really help me out), in return I have to accept
that not every wish, whim, or desire will end up in the product.

A feedback loop is essential in this relationship.  Of course, I have an
obligation to be objective and they have an interest in hearing the feedback
because I choose to do much less business with companies that have inefective
or non-existent feedback loops.

Companies with three letters in the name that sell enterprise servers and SAN's
have frequently come into this category in the past few years. ;)

Don't forget to paint the mailbox red. <G>

Al