I am not a SAP consultant, like your I am an infrastructure geek, but
I have been around a few companies that have implemented it. In my
non-involved view SAP is a great product as long as you do not need to
customize it very heavily. Anytime that heavy customization is
required (from what I've seen) is when you see those failures. It also
means that any time SAP releases fixes it will take you a lot of your
development time to incorporate to those into your customized
installation.

Also, you might be interested in this annoucement from SAP and Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/apr05/04-26SAPMSBusinessEfficiencyPR.asp

That will let your users access SAP functionality through Office. It's
not out now but if you are only starting to look at SAP then I would
suggest that it will be out in your implementation timeline.

Phil

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx