From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Noah Eiger
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 3:31 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Sites and Folder Redirection | more

Hello:

I am working with redirecting My Documents in various sites. I have some follow up questions to the thread I started a few months ago.

Some sites have poor connectivity. There is no replication of data between sites (for home directories). Laptop users use Offline Files. Single domain, W2k. All redirection is handled via User GPOs. The root Home directory resides on a file server at each site; users at that site point there based on the GPO. Security is defined as per MSKB 274443.

Where to apply the GPO? As Aric pointed out, applied at the Site level will cause users to redirect to the local Home share when they just drop by with their laptops. What happens to Offline Files in this case? It seems better to create OUs for uses at each Site and apply the GPO there. Under this scenario, would Slow Link Detection prevent the redirection from trying to find Home over the slow WAN link? Would it then just resort to Offline Files?

Finally, if we use DFS to create a unified namespace, all user home directories would be created under a single Home directory. Without folder replication, how would we control the Site and file server where the folder actually gets created?

Many TIA.

-- nme