If you’re concerned that there might be a problem – I don’t see any real value in taking a chance.  I tend to treat DCs much like ‘tin soldiers’.  Their purpose in life is primarily object repository and authN.  If the object repository can’t be trusted (possibly out of date) then the authN function is worthless.  (Reverse is true as well).

Me, Alex – I’d find an alternative way to get any critical data off of it (shouldn’t be any – it’s a DC for gosh sakes!) and then flatten it.  Rebuild, join, dcpromo, and all is good.

-rtk

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alex Fontana
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 3:53 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Replication failures - lingering objects

I have a DC that appears to have had some time synch problems before I got here…  Subsequently, all other DCs have discontinued replication for the cn=configuration (per repadmin) with this DC.  My question is; the first event I can see showing replication problems with this DC is on April 8th, which should mean that I’m not past the 60 day garbage collection period.  It seems to me that I could modify the reg setting to allow the other DCs to resume replication and no lingering objects would be reintroduced because the deleted object info is still present.  The offending DC is running Windows 2000 SP3.  Any thoughts?

TIA

-Alex