We are implementing lag sites in our production AD environment.  We
used to have a lag site which we used to implement a schema change in
a controlled environment but we recently tore it down.  However, we
will be recreating the lag site as this is an essential piece of our
infrastructure.

The single lag site is cost effective and you can set your max
replication latency to 1 week, at most.  With this design, changes
that occur just prior to the replication schedule will get replicated
to the lag site.

This is one reason we are looking at implementing double lag sites in
our environment.  This will buy us a 2-week maximum delay replication.

You will also need to change the following registry key and account
for the lag site in your monitoring solution.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Replicator
latency error interval (hours)

As for preventing offsite authentication, an alternative may be to
disable registration of the generic SRV records for the target domain
controllers.  There are policy settings that are built-in to Windows
2003 that are discussed in detail in the DNS chapter of the  Branch
Office Deployment Guide for 2003.

- Arden

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx