Title: "Access denied" connecting to remote Event Logs

This is a new feature of Windows Server 2003.  MS was smart enough to prevent regular users to view the Application and System log.  With Windows 2000, authenticated users can read the Application log and System log on a domain controller.  Having said this, users require a specific right to access the Security log on a domain controller.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ruston, Neil
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:29 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] "Access denied" connecting to remote Event Logs

I have 2 DCs in a [test] domain  - one w2k sp3, the other w2k3 sp0. The domain is w2k native.

I am logged on to both DCs using an account which is a member of domain admins.

If I connect to the event viewer on the w2k DC from the w2k3 DC, no problem.
If I connect to the event viewer on the w2k3 DC from the w2k DC, I receive 'access denied'.

Domain Admins have the right to "logon locally", "manage auditing and sec logs" and "access this computer from the network" (all set via GPO)

Which setting / policy should I check or change to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,
neil

misdirected, Credit Suisse, its subsidiaries and affiliates (CS) do not
waive any confidentiality or privilege. CS retains and monitors electronic
communications sent through its network. Instructions transmitted over this
system are not binding on CS until they are confirmed by us. Message
transmission is not guaranteed to be secure.