I like it when Dean posts longer answers.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dean Wells
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:25 AM
To: Send - AD mailing list
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] "Sticky" group membership - Solved

How strange, you're the 2nd person that's asked me that in as many days :-/

No particular ordering -

1. Caching Global Groups
        - <sugar coated>causes additional admin. requirements</sugar coated>
        - <non-sugar coated>ridiculous, why cache what the DC already has
explicit knowledge of?<non-sugar coated>
                - answer, unable to sufficiently differentiate group types
at the time the cache is populated.  I've suggested approaches ... I guess
we'll see.

2. Cache is NOT replicated within the site (bad thing) or out of the site
(good thing), as such, each DC within a caching site independently updates
its own cache at a controllable interval
        - if the site contains more than 1 DC, they all update their cache
independently instead of 'bridgeheading' the operation and locally
replicating

3. If site contains more than 500 users (or sub-class derivatives)
containing a  non-stale cached membership
        - the DC(s) will only update the first 500 objects (which can be
increased).  During the next pass, the DCs will NOT iterate though the list
thereby covering all relevant objects.  Instead, the DCs update the objects
based on (IIRC) their natural ordering within the DIT (which may differ from
DC to DC).

4. No automated failover capability (not critical may prove useful)
        - place a GC in the site = GC used and cache is populated locally
from it
        - GC in site not found, cache is used

5. No interface to view, manage, update or pre-populate the cache
        - under-the-hood mechanisms do exist but weren't exposed
        - Eric wrote a CLI tool to view it some time ago
        - Scripts are available for manual update and can be bolted into the
interface

6. DScrackNames API requires a GC when instructed to resolve locally-unknown
SPNs used when computers apply policy (may have long-since been resolved ...
haven't checked)

That's all I can think of ... hope it proves useful!

Dean

--
Dean Wells
MSEtechnology