>>> I thought that MS (NT 4.0 and later I think) will put a "." at the end of
each unqualified multi label query.
No, I think you have it backward. Nslookup does not append a ".", it expects
one, such that if there is no ".", nslookup then appends the entire domain
suffix configured in TCP/IP. If there is no suffix configured and DNS could
not locate the record you've requested, it tends to then append the
wildcarded domain name in the lookup.

I think we need to clarify your "unqualified multi label". If it's
multi-labeled, it is qualified. If it has a ".", it is qualified. Now,
nslookup considers a qualified (1.2.3) to be NOT FULLY QUALIFIED because
there is no "." at the end of "3" (like so, 1.2.3.), so I am not sure if
that's that you also refer to as "unqualified". It is important that you know
that this is an NSLOOKUP bug, and this bug tends to manifest itself WHEN YOU
HAVE A WILD-CARDED ZONE IN YOUR DNS.

Do you see the correlation I am trying to point out?

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT