As I understand it, remote NTLM authentication is when someone doesn't log on
by doing CTRL ALT DEL and putting in a username/password but accesses some
resource which either prompts for username/password (perhaps a web page or
email program) or uses the stored token. This doesn't update the
lastlogontimestamp.

I think you need a plan C for checking the email stuff. How will students
access the email? Web? POP3? IMAP? Whichever it is, if you have logs for access
to this then you know who's accessing the email and (effectively) who's not
accessing the email - if you have a policy that you must access the email at
least once per month then you just check the logs each month, build a list of
those who have accessed; match this against your total list of users and the
"misses" are the ones who are now inactive.

Most of our funding depends on proving that students enrol, attend courses and
take and pass exams so our student records people are quite good at keeping
accurate lists - auditors pick up on things if they get it wrong!

Students can enrol to many courses at any time of the year and also drop out,
leave or get kicked out at any time of the year. If the leaving is planned (eg
they move away from London) then they are removed cleanly from the system; if
they just don't turn up for classes for a certain number of weeks (it varies
but I think it's about 4-6) then they get withdrawn. There's no point for us
leaving a student on the system if they're not showing for classes - we don't
get the funding for them (and if we leave them on the system but they don't
take the exam then that looks even worse - we taught a student for a whole year
and they failed at the end.)

What we actually do with the student accounts is to set the expiry date to
"yesterday" and move them to an "expired" OU. If it turns out that (eg) they
were sick but didn't get round to calling then it's easy to just re-instate the
account.

Steve

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx