Wouldn't the accounts that don't need server access show up as inactive
if you ran them through joe's 'oldcmp'?  If so, then couldn't you get a
fair approximation from:

CALs required = [Total user objects] - [user objects flagged by oldcmp]

?

[Insert standard "Call your reseller for definitive licensing advice"
disclaimer here.]

- Laura

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx