From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Grillenmeier, Guido
Sent: Thu 6/16/2005 8:43 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Migration between domains with same NetBios name

Here is a nice one - I've done quite a few migration with all kinds of
scenarios, so I hardly ask questions around this topic.

But when migrating from one NT4 domain to an AD domain which both have the same
NetBios names, various issues and potential conflicts come to mind and I wonder
if others had to do this in the past, who could share their experience.

Think about an existing NT4 domain called CORP and another existing AD domain
called CORP (with DNS=copr.company.com). And now you need to migrate all users
and resources from the NT4 CORP to the AD CORP and place AD DCs into the same
sites as the exising NT4 DCs...

I can imagine various challenges, besides not being able to setup a trust and
thus loosing various options for doing a "normal" migration. At least I have no
need to register the AD domain in WINS; all clients are XP, but I know for sure
that I'm going to run into various other issues (the worst one being that the
account activation and the resource migration has to happend instantaneously,
since resource access won't be possible accross the domains). But I'm also
thinking of networking issues with and NT4 DC of the one and an AD DC of the
other domain in the same ip-subnet...

I wonder how others have tackled this challenge and what issues you ran into.

/Guido

<<winmail.dat>>