I also posted to this dl once before on MaxPageSize. The same argument
could be made for MaxValRange as I made for MaxPageSize.

~Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 11:15 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Effect of change to MaxValRange

Thanks for the feedback. I thought some of the experts would be able to
better articulate the consequences of changing that value. I read about
it
in Eric's Blog and based on the information I had come up with this
response to changing the value.

"Performance issues include increased processor time to run the query
and
increased network bandwidth to send unnecessary query results. If the
answer to the query is found in the first 1500 results there is no need
send another 2500 records. This setting affects all applications, so if
multiple queries are run with an unspecified range it will return all of
the results to every query and as more applications begin to use Active
Directory for LDAP queries we will feel the performance hit."

I think I was basically right. Thanks for helping me strengthen my
point.

             "joe"

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             .net>
             Sent by:                  <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc
             ail.activedir.org

Subject
                                       RE: [ActiveDir] Effect of change
             06/17/2005 11:33          MaxValRange

             AM

             Please respond to

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                tivedir.org

What happens when that isn't enough and they refuse to change again and
you
have to change your policy once more? How do you know you hit the limit
and
you aren't dropping entries? The application surely won't know. It will
simply think there were only 4000 values and be done with it. If that
attribute is for anything important, that could surely spell disaster
for
something.

It could break applications that handle ranging but have a hard coded
value
for how big they think the ranges are. This happened to several
applications
I heard about as well as my own adfind because the developers (and I)
assumed that the range returned would always be a certain size.
Hopefully
it
shouldn't be many now since we got caught out in the 2K to K3
MaxValRange
change from 1000 to 1500 but you never know. How the apps break depends
on
the apps, adfind would display some of the same values multiple times.
One
app I heard would fault out because it knew there couldn't be duplicate
values and would hit them thinking there was a directory corruption
issue.

I expect there could be some hit on perf from slight to pretty bad as
additional resources would be tied up for every query that hit objects
with
more than 1500 values. I am not sure, this isn't something I would ever
consider doing outside of playtime in the lab. It is just too dangerous
in
my opinion. I would consider increasing MaxResultSetSize before I
increased
MaxValRange and I almost certainly wouldn't ever increase
MaxResultSetSize
either.

I would severely question using that vendor because you don't know what
other things they aren't doing correctly for Active Directory.
Production
AD
is not the place to play with crappy directory aware apps. Exchange is
more
than enough. :o)