So I am writing a longer note about the history of VLV fixes we’ve thrown at it and why, but haven’t finished yet, and am trying to decide if it is best done in a blog post or an email to this list (it’s 2 pages so far).

In the interim, a couple of thoughts….

From the DSID you’re getting, I’d speculate you’re still doing VLV. I don’t know what you’ve tweaked on the Outlook side, but that’s my suspicion. A network sniff (or some more data) would confirm.

However, looking at this more broadly….

If you implement this change as your “fix”, you’ll find you need to do this on every client. That might grow old. J

A better fix, assuming 2k3 SP1 DCs (for RTM DCs, you’d need a QFE on them for this, namely a binary from the QFE tree that is Q886683 or later)…..

  1. Fire up adsiedit, crack open the config NC
  2. Expand CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,CN=Services.
  3. Edit CN=Directory Services.
  4. Nav down to msds-Other-Settings. Edit.
  5. In the Value to add box, type, without the quotes: “DisableVLVSupport=1”. Click Add.

Give that a try, let us know how it goes. J

~Eric