Great feedback and your points are very well taken.

Thanks for the info and the clarification.

Jose :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Grillenmeier,
Guido
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 1:00 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir][OT] File copy with security intact

with all of the options mentioned (incl. FSMT and RoboCopy) you have to
be aware of the limitations of copying ACLs from source to target, which
basically depends on how you've ACLed the data on your servers:

If you've used Server-Local groups, the tools won't do the work for you
to re-create appropriate Server-Local groups on the target machine and
convert the SIDs in the ACLs where required (i.e. leave SIDs from
non-server-local secprins alone and copy them as is and just replace the
server-local stuff with those of the target machine).

This is a considerable restriction for consolidating data - but you can
also circumvent it by first doing some homework on your own and replace
all server-local groups with AD domain-local groups incl. the re-ACLing
on the source machine(s). I'm not trying to say that you'd always want
to use this approach, as it has other challenges (token group-bloat for
user's logging onto the domain etc.), but it may be a valid option
depending on your environment.

I only know of "non-free" tools, to do this during the file-copy /
consolidation which either give you the option to create new
server-local groups on the target server or to convert them to AD
Domain-Local groups plus do the appropriate ReAcling of the data on the
target machine.

Too bad Microsoft's FSMT doesn't have this feature, which is one of the
main things I don't like with it. Otherwise it's a useful tool, as it
will also copy and re-create the shares etc. for you (no big deal,
but...) and has a very useful integration with the DFSroot-consolidation
feature of Win2003/SP1 (see Q829885 "Distributed File System update to
support consolidation roots in Windows Server 2003" if you're unfamiliar
with this feature).

Cheers,
Guido