Here is a very good resource.

How to upgrade Windows 2000 domain controllers to Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325379

Very generally, after you run 2003's ADPrep /forestprep and /domainprep (to
extend the schema and prepare the Domain for 2003 DC's) you can build your
first 2003 DC.  This can be done either by upgrading an existing DC or
building a brand new one.  The 2000 and 2003 DC's can coexist.  One thing to
be aware of is 2003 DC's have more stringent default security, so you'll
want to test appropriately.

As for upgrades in place, if your 2000 DC's are on identical/very similar
hardware and configured alike, you should be able to test and certify an
upgrade process.  You'll obviously want to go through the above KB article
and your upgrade scenarios in a lab prior to implementation in production.

It's a relatively simple process, but you need to follow standard practices
for testing, backups, etc.  Don't let the schema update scare you too much.
The big deal is to ensure replication is working properly and that you've
tested it to make sure no previous schema extensions will conflict with
2003's.  Exchange 2000 has a minor issue (as noted in the KB) and so do
about a half dozen 3rd party products.  It should all be documented by now,
but you do need to do your due diligence.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx