-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dan Holme
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 1:42 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Remote Desktop vs. Remote assistance

BOTTOM LINE

I think I know what you're saying and RA *is* the answer.  Set up RA
using GPOs.  IN group policy, you add your "Help Desk" group as the
"HELPERS" group that is allowed to OFFER remote assistance:
        Computer config\admin templates\system\remote assistance
And specify that they are allowed to remotely control the system.

That's all you need to do.

Now, when a user calls, the help desk says "hold on", launches an RA
session to the user's desktop.

The ONLY potential difference from VNC is that the user will get a
little notice that says "Dan is wanting to offer remote assistance" and
will have to click "OK."  At that point the helper can view, no problem.

There is a second confirmation box IF the helper actually launches
"control".  But believe me, the messages are clear enough and the help
desk is on the phone anyway, right? So it's not tough to figure out!

It beats having a third party app doing the same thing!!!!!  One less
thing to manage (and RA, as part of XP and GPO infrastructure is EASIER
to manage), and one less thing to have to keep up with patches on.

DETAILS

You cannot shadow a ts connection to xp.  Remember how it works on a
server... the user is ts'd to the server; the support person has a
SEPARATE ts to the server and "jumps in" to the user's ts.  It requires
multiple TS connections and XP doesn't support that.

The ONLY 'shadow' to a THICK client is RA.

If XP is TS'd into a TS, then you can shadow that TS connection (as
described above).

I am working with a high profile client right now and we just 'banished'
VNC on XP systems.  We found its admin logon encryption lacking, in the
version we were using, and, more importantly, it just wasn't necessary.