Hi Jeremy,

If you have 5 DCs and 9 sites, do you have non-DC-related reasons to have sites? If not, you could remove all sites that don't have a DC, and link their subnet objects to some remaining sites.

For example, if your DCs are on two AD sites, and then you have seven DC-less locations, you could add the subnets of those seven locations to either one of your AD sites.

Yours, Sakari

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Burkes, Jeremy [Contractor]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 9:34 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] GC availability issue?

Everyone,

            We have an empty root domain and a child domain with approximately 9 or so sites in the forest.  The root domain has 2 DCs (1 GC) and the child domain has 3 DCs (1GC) both of which are located in our main site.  At our main site where I am located we have approximately 500 users.  The best scenario I can give you is we do PC rollouts where we take a large number of PCs 30-50 at a time and rename them with an old extension in the host name then we bring a new machine onto the network with the same name.  Sometimes we get an error saying the computer account already exists in the organization when we try to name the new machine with the same name, but the issue is inconsistent.  I did some traffic sniffing with a PC and found that approximately 50% of the time machines in our site are contacting servers in other site for directory service information instead of our site DCs.  Even machines that have been on the network are not using local site DCs for information all the time but using other site DCs instead.  I am wondering what could be causing this.  This configuration has been static for sometime nothing new has been introduced except for Windows 2003 schema (could this be the cause?).  I think it is because we do not have enough GCs in our site (2), but my boss disagrees.  What does everyone think?

Jeremy

Jeremy Burkes
Strategic Systems Programs
Management Information Systems