I can define a site using a 32 bit subnet mask? That's a possibility I hadn't considered! I'd have been afraid that would confuse the heck out of the kcc!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:53 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Does a domain require a GC?

Dean killed the first question pretty well I think. The second question or implied question that I got was "don't I have to set up a special IP subnet to do this?" and the answer is no. You do not need a physical network breakup to define a logical site in AD and assign subnets. I did this in DataCenters quite often. A single data center with tons of subnets would have different pieces carved out and added to various sites depending on what DCs they needed to be with. This was sometimes a pain but network didn't always want to work with us in terms of giving us whole ranges of physical subnets to work with. There were more than one single IP subnets (32 bit mask) defined in that directory.