Hi Everyone,

I was looking something up concerning the partial attribute and its behavior
with DCs.

Now...
* If all DCs = w2k3 and PAS is changed, then only the changes to the PAS will
be replicated
* If all DCs = w2k and PAS is changed, then a full resync will be done for all
objects and attributes

This I knew

But..
* If DCs = w2k or w2k3 (mixed environment), what happens then?

That is what I tried to find out because I remembered something about a w2k3
reverting back to w2k behavior and doing a full sync.

If found the following:
###############################
* Updates only: When both servers are running Windows Server 2003, only the
changed attributes are replicated to global catalog servers running Windows
Server 2003. There is no replication impact.

* Full synchronization: When both servers are running Windows 2000, the global
catalog server initiates a full synchronization of all partial, read-only
domain directory partition replicas to become up-to-date with the extended
replicas on other domain controllers. If the partial directory partition
replica can be synchronized over an RPC connection, the domain controller
attempts a full synchronization over the RPC connection before it uses a
configured SMTP connection. If full synchronization is completed, the
up-to-dateness vector that it creates ensures that later synchronization
requests on other connections do not include data that has been received during
the initial full synchronization.
Full synchronization of a global catalog server causes increased network
traffic while it is in progress and can take from several minutes to hours,
depending on the size of the directory. Although interruption of service does
not occur, this replication causes higher bandwidth consumption than is
required for usual day-to-day replication. The resulting bandwidth consumption
for each global catalog server is equivalent to that caused by adding the
global catalog to a domain controller. Whenever the
isMemberOfPartialAttributeSet value of a new attributeSchema object in the
schema directory partition is set to TRUE, event ID 1575 occurs, stating full
synchronization is required.

* Full synchronization: When one global catalog server is running Windows 2000
Server and the other is running Windows Server 2003 and a global catalog server
running Windows Server 2003 replicates the change to a global catalog server
running Windows 2000 Server, the server running Windows Server 2003 reverts to
Windows 2000 Server behavior, as described above

###############################

Shouldn't the 3rd be: When one global catalog server is running Windows 2000
Server and the other is running Windows Server 2003 and a global catalog server
running Windows 2000 Server replicates the change to a global catalog server
running Windows Server 2003, the server running Windows Server 2003 reverts to
Windows 2000 Server behavior, as described above

Reason I say this is that the w2k3 dc receives a PAS update from the w2k DC and
the w2k3 thinks: "crap, I need to rebuild my GC contents like the w2k does"

And will the w2k3 dc also report and event id 1575?

Or am I missing something (could be, because it is too late and I need to get
some sleep!)? If so, please say so with some explanation

Thanks
Cheers
#JORGE#

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx