I just started today so what I got was-
they have connectivity to the child dns server but they cut off
connectivity to anything in the root domain.
the firewall is blocking all root traffic.
this has been like this for a week.
nothing is replicating to the root and there is no access to the _msdc
forest zone.

The forest is win2k native with an empty root and 1 child domain in a
seperate tree.
they have DA access in the child domain but no DA/EA access in the root.
all the exchange servers(about 10) are in the child domain.
the only recipent policy in the root is the default one and the enterprise RUS.

They want to migrate the child domain and all the resources to a new
forest where we have full control of everything.
i assume we do not need connectivity to the _msdc forest dns zone to
create a trust with the old child domain to migrate everything over(or
anything in the root dns zone).

I'm not 2nd guessing the Quest guys, this is only for my own education.

Thanks a lot

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx