Yes you can change those in AD without issue. On the machine itself it is
somewhere in the registry, you would need to dig it out but should be able
to change that as well.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Crawford, Scott
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 6:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Anal retentivity

I like to have our computer names in all caps, so naturally I create them
upper case and instruct our machine builders to do the same.  The problem is
that they're just not that attentive - I guess RIS has bred laziness (Its SO
much easier now).

Is there anyway, I can go back and update AD, changing all the names to
upper case?  I see about 5 places in ADSI that reflect the name.  Would it
be a simple matter of just changing those?

Is the name stored on the PC?  If so, can that be updated as well?

Of course, rejoining the machine to the domain would fix it, but it's
definitely not worth that, but if I could script it, I'd be all for it.

Alternatively, is there anyway to enforce some kind of naming scheme at
domain join?  Or, optimally a way to use an input mask in the initially RIS
screens.

Obviously, this is nowhere near important, but it's always just kinda bugged
me :)

Thanks
Scotte