Title: Re: [ActiveDir] exchange weirdeness
I think this is fine in a small environment or *maybe* in a large environment if the chances of moving the mailbox are very very slim or the chances of reconnection are very very slim.

As mentioned previously, the lack of the ability to move a disconnected mailbox (say you have a server issue and are trying to get mailboxes off of it quickly) and the crappy nasty horrible WMI reconnect programmatic method make this a nightmare to deal with in a large org. If MS published the details for doing a MAPI reconnect I would happily write a command line tool to handle this so it could be done in a realistic way for an enterprise. I have begged for the source to a couple of tools they have that do things like this (such as MBCONNECT) but haven't thus far gotten it. I just recently purchased the supposedly best MAPI book ever (Inside MAPI) that is not available hard copy anymore but got on CD for like $60 so I can hopefully try to work out how to do this.

I much prefer moving the object, disabling it, and properly setting the MAS and ACL to self on the mailbox. This is what I push for in the larger Exchange deployments (100k+) but would really recommend it for anyone if they were looking to handle things the easiest programmatically.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Mulnick
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 7:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] exchange weirdeness

FWIW, I've always been a fan of disassociating the user account from the mailbox and then disabling the user access by disabling the user object from login, moving it to a new OU, removing the groups, marking the object with a time stamp for later use, and logging every action taken to a text file for later review and auditing functions.

I can leave a user account that I can associate and disassociate at will if I need access.  It's not pretty, but then again, there is no pretty way to make this work.

The scripts involved are pretty straightforward; it's a matter of figuring out what the process should be.

My $0.04 anyway.

Al