Title: RE: [ActiveDir] OT:Exchange 2003 SP1 bloat

That way you can make his life easier and he won't have to deal with this sort of thing.”

Ah, that is the perfect sort of thing for me to say.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I was taking it a little personally and need to get used to “business logic.” It means a lot to hear advice from people as knowledgeable and experienced as this list.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 9:57 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Kinda OT: Advice welcomed

All this is good advice, but tends to accept as fact that there is a security risk involved.  You wrote,

you know nothing about (and for that reason do not trust)

There are really two issues here:

- your CIO is playing AD administrator, and for dealing with that there has been lots of good advice

- you don't have all the security facts, so fear the worst consequences

I'd suggest first finding out all you can about this application and its site because it sounds like you're going to have to deal with it for a long time.  If you approach this as a control issue--well, the CIO is in charge as others have said.  If you approach it wrong, the CIO may think you have a problem with change because this may be a new application in your environment or something in the business has dictated handling this in a new way.

I think the real outcome you want is for the CIO to appreciate that he should keep you informed about changes and that you can help make them happen in a seamless and secure way.  That way you can make his life easier and he won't have to deal with this sort of thing.

Good luck!

AL

Al Maurer
Service Manager, Naming and Authentication Services
IT | Information Technology
Agilent Technologies
(719) 590-2639; Telnet 590-2639
http://activedirectory.it.agilent.com
Better Administration through Active Directory