Love it? People love that thing? Good god, I would beat it with a stick if I
could get a good solid view of it. I have to admit, it does deliver
messages, when it works that is. That just isn't good enough for me. I seem
to see Exchange more when it isn't working or is working half ass though I
have finally seen some good running installs but it took a lot of work to
get them that way, too much in my opinion.

Setting up Exchange to run in a large org (hundreds of thousands) is
ridiculously complicated and needlessly over taxed with bad assumptions on
what Exchange can and should do and how permissions should work. Anyone who
says Exchange is great has not spent much time actually looking at the
implementation of the whole ACLing implementation. I find I have no end of
bad thoughts when I see more and more new features being dumped into the
product when its core basic features are so flipping unstable and difficult
to deal with. I think the product has the capability to be great, certainly
better than most anything else out there, however it needs to start by
bringing it into the light (and the developers) and show key critical people
how it is really used and how painful it can be to troubleshoot what should
be simple things to troubleshoot, like exactly what queries is DSACCESS
choking on right now? What DLs are being expanded right now? Etc.

Overall, it would seem that most people think it runs well because they
don't know what to look for to see if it is indeed broke. Exchange has this
ability to run ok even when multiple things are broken or misconfigured
right up until you hit the point where it won't run and then it hits the
floor hard and you are sitting there asking yourself, what’s wrong and MS is
asking for a memory dump. Unfortunately when it gets in this state, most
people don't understand how it was supposed to be working, they just knew it
worked before, so they have little understanding of what to look at to see
why it isn't working. There are very few people, in my opinion, that can
really sit down and look at Exchange and the AD Interactions of Exchange and
understand what it is doing right and what it is doing wrong at any given
moment. I am not one of them. I am slowly trying to become one of them but
mostly just from a how is AD being abused side of it. I have no desire to
understand mail routing, etc.

Anyway, back to people not knowing what to look for to see if it is indeed
broke. I just submitted a bug through multiple channels about the Directory
Access Tab (and the backend WMI Exchange_DSAccessDC class) being entirely
untrustworthy unless you just restarted the Microsoft Exchange Management
Service. I posted it in a couple of the Exchange NNTP groups as well with
full repro steps as that is what the SP2 CTP said to do. This is something
Exchange admins around the world have been using since Exchange 2000 SP2.
And it doesn't work right.

The funny thing with this bug is nearly everyone (MS and non-MS) I asked
about it said one of the following:

1. Yeah I never thought that thing was reporting properly.
2. This is a known issue.
3. This is really familiar to me, I think this is a known issue.
4. I saw this back in Exchange 2000. You mean it isn't fixed in Exchange
2003?

I stumbled on this completely by accident in my home lab when testing a
theory on how to force an Exchange server to fail its config DC to an out of
site DC via IPSEC IP blocking when the insite DC was still responding, but
in a piss poor way. I noticed that the failover was occurring because
DSACCESS and the event log and a cache dialed down to 1 second turnover were
all telling me it was happening not to mention queries going to the out of
site DC showing it. But neither WMI nor the Directory Access tab ever
reflected a change, even after 26 hours it didn't report a change.

I then went off on that tangent to check it out because it quite frankly
scared me knowing full well some people monitor their Exchange servers
through the WMI interfaces and watch for changes in the dsaccess lists to
determine there are DC issues. After a while I finally tied it down to the
Exchange Management service and that restarting it, not the SA, would cause
the list to immediately update. This meant it wasn't a DSACCESS issue, it
was a data reporting issue. DSACCESS could have been completely on fire but
the reporting mechanism would say everything was five by five. The reporting
mechanism could tell you that DC1 was being used so you take down DC2 for
work only to find you blew up Exchange because it was really using DC2...
Not only does this bug suck, it is actually dangerous. I would rather have
to guess what DCs are being used and know it was a guess than be told
incorrectly but in an authoritative way what was being used.

On the positive side, the bug I fought to get recognized as a bug back in
2003/2004 has finally been tackled and hopefully killed in SP2.

Directory
 The DSAccess API has been changed to return a list of all servers in the
topology with their home domain DNS names. This causes the DSProxy RFR
service to return global catalogs only from the root directory of the
mailbox of the client.