If i set up a contact with the server name in the addy as in [EMAIL PROTECTED], will the message get delivered or will exchange think "servername.domain.tld " is the domain name and throw an error?

Just a question i'm throwing out because an archive solution is giving me that kind of contact to send mail to and its not getting there.
I have a feeling its because of that and i should just create a connector to forward to that addy as a smarthost but i want to confirm with you guys that i can't write an address in that form and expect exchange(or any smtp server?) to deliver the mail.
thanks