From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kamlesh Parmar
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 2:56 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] GPO Restricted Groups gotchas ?

I agree it would be better to give that option of append alongwith override.I
assume, they didn't implement, because it is very easy to get thedesired result
thru other means like this batch file, which can  runas computer startup
script, for intended machines. This works likeappend operation.
:: Add support admin to administrators groupnet localgroup administrators
domain\supportadmin /add

On 9/25/05, Roger Seielstad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>> Actually, the ideal
would be the option to append or override.>> Sometimes you don't care if
other's are in a specific group, as long as a> specific set of accounts/groups
are in that group. Case in point is IT shops> where the user is
granted/required to have local admin. Ideally, you'd set> that user, plus your
IT support staff, as local admin. Without having the> option to append, all you
can do is override, which means that one user is> then oout.>>> --------> Roger
Seielstad> E-mail Geek>>>  ________________________________>  From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of> Kamlesh Parmar> Sent:
Friday, September 23, 2005 2:42 AM> To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org> Subject:
Re: [ActiveDir] GPO Restricted Groups gotchas ?>>>> But then it defeats the
purpose of restricted group, as you want to be sure> that, only known members
are part of the restricted group. If the operation> is merge than it is not
restricted by definition?> When u ask for merge or append, you are doing some
group membership> modification. You better use some scripts for that.>> I would
suggest create a separate group of those app servers, and apply> group policy
with restricted group populated as you want.> Make sure Group Policy is applies
to that Group of appservers only. it is> must that you Remove "Authenticated
Users" group from group policy security.>>> On 9/23/05, Mark Parris <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:> >> >> >> > The biggest gottcha, is that any existing group
memberships for groups> managed by the restricted group policy are overridden
by the restricted> group policy – this is my biggest gripe, I wish they would
>> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of> [EMAIL
PROTECTED]> > Sent: 23 September 2005 06:36> > To:
ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org> > Subject: [ActiveDir] GPO Restricted Groups
gotchas ?> >> >> >> >> >> > I would like to use restricted groups policies to
specifiy local> Administrative access to application servers. I am sure this
has already> been tried. I would like to know how this worked or did not work
for those> who have tried it  and where there any unexpected gotchas that
happened ?> >> > Thank You ! And have a nice day !> >> >>