From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Gil Kirkpatrick
Sent: Wed 10/5/2005 4:31 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Most common cause of Active Directory "failures"?

Greetings fellow travellers,

Here's a quick, informal, non-scientific survey. Please reply to me directly
at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  so we don't spam the
list
with responses. I've got a some swell gifts to give away at random to a
couple of lucky respondants (nothing too fancy). I'll post the summary in a
few days.

Question: *In your experience*, which are the most common causes of Active
Directory "failure" (where failure is defined as failure to authenticate,
authorize, replicate, or apply GPOs as expected). List as many as you care
to, in order from most common to least common. Note that I am not considering
the consequences of the failure, just how frequent they are.

Just send me a response like B, A, F or some such, along with any commentary
you might have.

A. Inadvertant data deletion (fat-fingering a user object or, God-forbid, an
OU)
B. Inadvertant misconfiguration of AD (for instance screwing up a connection
object, or changing the wrong registry setting, or making an inappropriate
GPO change)

C. Inadvertant misconfiguration of MSFT DNS.
D. Inadvertant misconfiguration of non-MSFT DNS.
E. Inadvertant misconfiguration of networking devices
F. Hardware failure of a DC
G. Hardware failure of a networking device (including DNS servers, if they
are not also DCs)
H. Physical disaster (fire, flood, power failure, etc)
I. Malicious attack by a service admin
J. Malicious attack by a data admin
K. Malicious attack by an authenticated user
L. Malicious attack by an unauthenticated user
M. Other (please specify)

Thanks for your feedback.

-gil

Gil Kirkpatrick
CTO, NetPro

Don''t miss the Directory Experts Conference 2006. More information at
www.dec2006.com <file://www.dec2006.com> .

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx