Then we should be looking at user authentication by other means than just
passwords. But that isn't a utopia either.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rich Milburn
Sent: 06 October 2005 15:35
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Active Directory wish list

There seem to be several schools of thought on the password policy issue...
- the execs and exec admins who should have the 4th most complex passwords
(next to HR, accounting, and IT maybe) but lack the computer literacy to
understand why and so unfortunately want no passwords or their dog's name as a
password, and they have the political influence to be heard
- the security people who want 5 way complex passwords (including ASCII
characters) and understand the threats but not the user issues
- developers who don't want the [continued] blame for leaving an open password
policy, and who [might] now reasonably [from a technical and security
perspective] ask "why would you want to allow some people to have a weak
password policy if others require a strong one on the same network??"
- AD admins who have to figure out how to make everyone happy but may get
blamed if the network is compromised.
- and others of course.

Personally I tend to side with the developers on this, but then it probably
should not be mandated by the program, only set as an initial default to
protect the ignorant.  IMHO.

Rich

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform
Development Applebee's International, Inc.
4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819
"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do
it." - Pablo Picasso