Quite right, however, if you have a host that is dedicated to hosting
Virtual Server, e.g. everything except the host's core OS and Virtual
Server is hosted in a guest, then you've greatly reduced the "surface"
that needs patching. SQL has a problem that needs patching? So does AD?
DNS vulnerability? ...watch my Virtual Server host not care!

Also, while nothing is foolproof, good server hardware is much more
reliable now than it ever was, in my experience. I've seen servers fail
during "burn in" of course due to a fault that they came out of the
factory with, and of course drives are mechanical and fail sometimes
which is why we all use RAID, but other than that I see very very few
hardware faults at all.

--
Robert Moir
Microsoft MVP for Windows Servers & Security