Exporting users, groups etc and then recreating them in a new environment is not terribly difficult. Getting the security settings and the GPO information recreated is a bit more difficult. This is not an export and copy, it's an export and create new that looks like the old situation if you do it that way.

What do you have to work with? Is it too much to recreate the environments by overlaying the production, cleaning up the metadata and letting it loose? Or do you have workstations and servers in the environment to be concerned about?

Al

----- Original Message ----- From: "Smith, Brad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 11:07 AM
Subject: [ActiveDir] Interesting Scripting Task.....

All,

I am pondering the possibility of automating the creation of development
environments. The problem I am hoping to solve is that a lot of our testing
needs to be done in an environment where all our Ous, GPOs, Groups and so
forth are present. Recreating this is a nightmare, so to alleviate this I want to write an import/export script that dumps all the OU's, Groups, Users and GPO's (including security) and then restores them in a different target
domain (different forest too).  Has anyone attempted/achieved this before?

Brad

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected. If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing stated in this communication shall be legally binding.