-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Mulnick
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 12:30 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] BlackComb Super Forest Functional Mode

Depends on how it's implemented.  If it is really multiple AD
domains/forests (full functionality for all three) then I would be all for
it as it would greatly simplify multi-forest deployments and really be a
cause for celebration for new deployments.  However, it would be interesting
to see how a multi-forest server would register itself and be advertised.
Same for application of services and applications when they have one IP
address to resolve to.

I see this as a fundamental change that only has the advantage of reducing
OS licensing costs.  I haven't seen specs on BC, but would imagine that
virtualization will eventually be included at some level either in the OS or
in the hardware itself.  At that point, is there a benefit to a multiple
forest or domain on a single DC vs virtualization?

I suspect the differences in cost would not be large. I'm not sure I'd like
the stability issues per se. Hardware is cheap. Dirt cheap and if I can
withstand the risk of multiple forests on a single OS/piece of hardware, I
can probalby withstand three low-class servers.  Or one larger with
virtualization because the scenario that I would likely deploy into would
not be a high-availability and high-traffic scenario. It would likely be a
remote site with 200 or less users that needs access to resources in
multiple forests.

As for partition information or ldap identity stores, I already have ADAM
available to me in the OS (R2) and can deploy many instances of that.  It's
not the LDAP abilities I'm after.  It's the other NOS related information
that appeals.  Specifically for me, it would be multi-forest implementations
that would be of interest.

The drawback to me would be flushing my investment in other applications.
I'm not interested enough in the end result to flush my legacy apps and the
investment I have in them.

My 0.04 anyway.